- 450 g (16 oz) anelletti pasta
- 200 g (7 oz) lean pork
- 200 g (7 oz) lean beef
- Pork rind cut into strips
- 100 g (2/3 cup) peas
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ glass red wine
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 l (4 ¼ pts) basic tomato sauce
- 6 basil leaves
- 200 g (7 oz)caciocavallo cheese, in flakes
- Extra Virgin Oil
– Fry the onion in the oil until golden. Then add the chopped garlic. After a couple of minutes, add the meat and pork rind, and brown for 5 minutes, turning the meat regurarly.
– Add the tomato paste diluted in the wine and allow to evaporate.
– Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf and salt, and cook for 90 minutes over a low heat. Bifore switching off the heat, add the fresh basil and peas, and cook for another 5 minutes.
– Cut the meat into small pieces.
– Boil the anelletti pasta in ample salted water. Drain and mix with the sauce.
– In a buttered baking dish, make a layer of the pasta and sauce, then sprinkle with the flaked cheese. Make a second layer in the same way, topping with the cheese.
– Bake at 180°C (360°F) for approximately 20 minutes.
“Terra delle Sirene” Sicilia IGT Rosoo- Azienda agricola Zenner, Catania